Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mother Prague/Matka Praha



I love Prague.  I have loved her since I first laid eyes on her in 1966.  Back then, her colors were muted in drab gray but her majesty and powerful energy could not be tamed.  I was lucky enough to have someone to guide me through this magnificent city and take me to places that were not available to the public.  This old man explained the architecture (which I did not know) in relation to the history (which I did know).  I felt that I had known Prague intimately for a long, long time - much longer than my 15 1/2 years. I still feel that way.

Now that she is struggling with the flooding, I am posting this as a tribute to her magnificence.   
photo taken by Paula Vedral
Mother Prague

Bewitched by your beauty
I lost my soul in your streets
Long ago and I return
To you periodically

To drink from your fountain
Of acrid remembrance
To feel the powerful
Grip of your outstretched arms

To hear the steady beating
Of your heart in sync with time
As it continues to pulse
Marching into new millennia

© Alice Vedral Rivera – 2007 – Czech Republic


Matka Praha

Okouzlená tvou krásou
Ztratila jsem duši už dávno
V ulicích tvých a vracím se
K tobě čas od času

Napít se z tvé studny
Trpkých vzpomínek
Ucítit tvou mocnou
Otevřenou náruč

Poslechnout si bití
Tvého srdce jak současně s časem
Stále pokračuje a dál
Pochoduje do nových století

© Alice Vedral Rivera – 2007 – Czech Republic

4 comments:

  1. love it... love your words, love Prague... always and always... so I understand you completely, my friend... keep up the good work! proud of you!
    Vlasta K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vlastičko. I appreciate your taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. Alice, thank you so much for expressing your feelings about Prague. You brought my feelings about this city back to the surface with your beautiful words.
    Thank you again. Marie F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, thank you for your kind comment. I really appreciate your feedback.

      Delete